Tap Beginner/Intermediate (Online)
Gain rhythm, style, sound, and confidence while having fun!
Already have the foundations of Tap and ready to fly? Have one or two sessions of Beginner Tap under your belt and want to keep going? Dancers will develop body awareness and confidence in a supportive environment. You will learn a variety of tap styles from Broadway to Rhythm tap. Skill Development and Combos will focus on building flexibility of the knees and ankles, coordination, and speed of movement. The class emphasis is on developing proper tap technique, producing clear tap sounds, and having fun! Our goal with this program is to successfully transition new dancers into the intermediate Tap programs at J'Adore Dance.
- Comfortable clothing (dance wear is welcome but not required)
- Tap Shoes required
Registrations can be completed online or in person at the studio or over the phone (provided you already have an account with J'Adore Dance). Payment must be received at the time of registration.
Programs at J'Adore Dance are in high demand, and sell out with long wait lists. As such, any registrations cancelled before the first class are subject to a $25 + GST administrative fee. No refunds will be issued after the start date of the class, however, we will issue credit valid for 12 months from the start date of the canceled program if the registration is canceled before the third class of the session. No refunds or credit will be granted after the start of the third class other than for serious illness or injury with medical documentation provided. Cancellation requests must be received in writing (firstname.lastname@example.org) and can only be processed by management. Credits are non-transferable and non-refundable. Please note that classes may switch from in-studio to online formats at any point in a session as mandated by Alberta Health Services. By registering in a program at J’Adore Dance you are agreeing to participating in both in-studio and online class delivery. Refunds/Credit will not be given for changes to programming delivery.
Terms and Conditions for Online Classes
- The participant has permission to be online and partake in J’Adore Dance online classes.
- Always use good judgement when dancing outside of your regular studio classroom.
- Take care to clear adequate space and remove any household or environmental factors that could potentially harm you or those around you
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear that is not slippery
- Make sure the flooring is adequate to prevent slipping and falling
- Young children should have someone actively supervising them
- Don’t do the activity alone; have someone on the premises with you
- That, where possible, you will ensure webcams are located in a communal space like a living room - rather than a bedroom. If only a private space like a bedroom is available, you will commit to keeping the door open.
The participant will participate in these online dance classes at their own risk. You understand that, although rare, dance is a sport and injury may occur. J’Adore Dance will not be held responsible for any injury that may occur during your online dance class.
Privacy for Zoom:
- All participants will be admitted from the “waiting room”. Please make sure your Zoom name matches your name on your registration.
- Please sign-in at least 10 minutes before your class starts.
- Your instructor will “admit” you.
- To minimize disruptions to the class, the instructor will not be able to manage the waiting room and admit participants after the welcome discussion (5 min after class start time)
- For safety reasons, your video must be on so that your instructor can see you
- Please note that the material in class videos is copyright and has not been approved for sharing, or for third party recordings. Sharing of the classes and zoom links and passwords are strictly forbidden (only registered participants will be granted entry into the ZOOM class each week) as well as the weekly video link. Not adhering to these rules will void your registration from the program.
Jewel Zahr is a tap dancer from Edmonton, Alberta. Jewel started dancing in all disciplines at the age of four and quickly realized the love she had for tap. She graduated in 2016 from Victoria School of the Arts where she pursued her passion for the art of dance. She was very involved with the school and would perform at all of the shows the school would have. Through attending Victoria School of the Arts, she has had multiple opportunities to perform in shows such as “Love and Information” and “Festival of the Arts”.
In 2016, Jewel was accepted into Jenna Werhun's advanced tap technique and professional development program, The Next Steps. The program aims to provide young, and upcoming tap dancers with opportunities to prepare them for the professional dance community. Through this program, Jewel has not only had the opportunity to teach her peers, but to also take a producing role in helping to organize a fundraising show and create an original piece of choreography, showcased at Edmonton’s own Needle Vinyl Tavern in February of 2017. She also produced "Swingin' Thru Time", presented by The Next Steps, that was performed at the Sewing Machine Factory in February of 2018.
In addition to this, she has been dancing at Powerhouse Dance for her entire dance career. This has afforded her the opportunity to participate in many dance competitions and receive multiple awards. In 2016, she was recognized as an exceptionally responsible student with strong leadership skills, so she was invited to become an assistant teacher for Jenna Werhun. Jewel is excited to complete her post-secondary journey at the University of Alberta in the department of Education. She is thrilled to have completed the JDance Internship program and continue teaching Tap at J'Adore Dance.