Urban Kidz® (3-5 yrs)
Are you seeking a non-competitive studio where fun, fitness, and a love of dance are the top priority? Let's get funky!
Come and get your hip hop groove on in our sessional Hip Hop program, Urban Kidz®, ages 3-13 years. Urban Kidz® has been expertly developed by artistic director Jenna Brenan (BEd, AFLCA, PPNF) in collaboration with a variety of dance educators who teach hip hop programming to children of all ages and abilities. All our classes are taught by highly trained instructors who have certified in JDance® (The foundational curriculum for our Urban Kidz® program) and have a solid foundation in both dance technique and best teaching practices. Dance to your favourite kid friendly, parent approved music while learning the latest hip hop moves! In Urban Kidz®, you will explore dance concepts, gain coordination, and increase strength and flexibility.
Our program focuses on Anne Green Gilbert’s BrainDance research and her teachings on conceptual dance education, providing a strong foundation where new dance concepts will be explored monthly. Creative dance, imagination, and expression are combined with developmentally appropriate movement, music, and Hip Hop dance skills to create a class that is fun for all!
Dance is more than a series of steps. Our programs use a holistic approach that provides our young dancers with a brain compatible learning environment. Our conceptual approach to dance education ensures our students move with purpose on the dance floor and through life. Our goal is to shape each student into a Holistic Dancer who is a:
- Skilled Technician
- Critical Thinker
- Successful Collaborator
- Inventive Creator
- Effective Communicator
Each class includes: a BrainDance warm up, concept based exploration, Hip Hop skill development and choreography, a fitness based game or obstacle course and ends with a rhythm development activity. No previous dance experience necessary.
• Comfortable clothing (eg. leggings and a t-shirt)
• Indoor running shoes (no barefeet due to AHS guidelines)
• Hair pulled back
• Water bottle
• Face Masks Mandatory
Cinch Sacs/Prop Bags
As per AHS mandates, we are no longer allowed to have prop sharing in our classes. The use of props is integral to our programming. We have worked with our suppliers to bring in enough props to make individual student bags. Prop bags will come in their own J’Adore branded cinch sac labelled with your child's name and will include the items listed below. Prop bags will be available for purchase at the time of registration and will be waiting for your child on the first day of their class. Prop bags will be sold for $30+GST.
- 2 jingle bells
- 2 dancing scarves
- 1 ribbon wand
- 2 rhythm sticks
- 1 bean bag
- 2 egg shakers
- Hand sanitizer
Registrations can be completed online or in person at the studio or over the phone (provided you already have an account with J'Adore Dance). Payment must be received at the time of registration.
Programs at J'Adore Dance are in high demand, and sell out with long wait lists. As such, any registrations cancelled before the first class are subject to a $25 + GST administrative fee. No refunds will be issued after the start date of the class, however, we will issue credit valid for 12 months from the start date of the canceled program if the registration is canceled before the third class of the session. No refunds or credit will be granted after the start of the third class other than for serious illness or injury with medical documentation provided. Cancellation requests must be received in writing (email@example.com) and can only be processed by management. Credits are non-transferable and non-refundable. Please note that classes may switch from in-studio to online formats at any point in a session as mandated by Alberta Health Services. By registering in a program at J’Adore Dance you are agreeing to participating in both in-studio and online class delivery. Refunds/Credit will not be given for changes to programming delivery.
Terms and Conditions for Online Classes
- The participant has permission to be online and partake in J’Adore Dance online classes.
- Always use good judgement when dancing outside of your regular studio classroom.
- Take care to clear adequate space and remove any household or environmental factors that could potentially harm you or those around you
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear that is not slippery
- Make sure the flooring is adequate to prevent slipping and falling
- Young children should have someone actively supervising them
- Don’t do the activity alone; have someone on the premises with you
- That, where possible, you will ensure webcams are located in a communal space like a living room - rather than a bedroom. If only a private space like a bedroom is available, you will commit to keeping the door open.
The participant will participate in these online dance classes at their own risk. You understand that, although rare, dance is a sport and injury may occur. J’Adore Dance will not be held responsible for any injury that may occur during your online dance class.
Privacy for Zoom:
- All participants will be admitted from the “waiting room”. Please make sure your Zoom name matches your name on your registration.
- Please sign-in at least 10 minutes before your class starts.
- Your instructor will “admit” you.
- To minimize disruptions to the class, the instructor will not be able to manage the waiting room and admit participants after the welcome discussion (5 min after class start time)
- For safety reasons, your video must be on so that your instructor can see you
- Please note that the material in class videos is copyright and has not been approved for sharing, or for third party recordings. Sharing of the classes and zoom links and passwords are strictly forbidden (only registered participants will be granted entry into the ZOOM class each week) as well as the weekly video link. Not adhering to these rules will void your registration from the program.
Olivia Thomas has been dancing for ten years, nine of those years at J'Adore Dance. She started off learning ballet and jazz but found that hip hop was what she was best suited for. Throughout those years of dance, Olivia has had the opportunity to dance at Oil King's performances and Festival of Trees. Other than dancing, Olivia likes to spend her spare time with friends, playing soccer, swimming and finding new things to bake. Olivia is super excited to be able to become a part of the J'Adore team and make amazing memories with kids!
Ethan Sampson is completing high school at Mother Margaret Mary and throughout his education he has had the opportunity to take part in all aspects of the performing arts. For as long as he can remember, Ethan has been up on the stage acting, singing, and most importantly, dancing. He made his entrance into the dance world at a very young age with the Cloverdale Community Dance Program, For the Love of Dance. There, he learned Creative Movement, Ballet, Jazz, and Tap. Ethan studied with For the Love of Dance for four years before discovering his home in the Hip Hop programs at J'Adore Dance. Ethan has been with J'Adore Dance for seven years and has had the opportunity to learn under many great teachers; Jenna Brenan, Martin Cochingco, and Josh Capulong have helped to form Ethan into a precise and expressive dancer. Under J'Adore Dance, he has had the opportunity to flourish and experience the very best of the performing world. Ethan has been fortunate enough to perform at events such as the Festival of Trees, Edmonton Oil Kings, and Edmonton Stingers. Outside of dance, Ethan has found much success in both soccer and track and field where he supports his teammates both on and off the field and regularly podiums in the 1500m, javelin, and shot put events. As a teacher at J'Adore Dance, Ethan hopes to both inspire many young dancers through their journey in the performing arts and to be a positive role model for other boys in dance.