Urban Kidz® (5-7 yrs)
Are you seeking a non-competitive studio where fun, fitness, and a love of dance are the top priority? Let's get funky!
Come and get your hip hop groove on in our sessional Hip Hop program, Urban Kidz®, ages 3-13 years. Urban Kidz® has been expertly developed by artistic director Jenna Brenan (BEd, AFLCA, PPNF) in collaboration with a variety of dance educators who teach hip hop programming to children of all ages and abilities. All our classes are taught by highly trained instructors who have certified in JDance® (The foundational curriculum for our Urban Kidz® program) and have a solid foundation in both dance technique and best teaching practices. Dance to your favourite kid friendly, parent approved music while learning the latest hip hop moves! In Urban Kidz®, you will explore dance concepts, gain coordination, and increase strength and flexibility.
Our program focuses on Anne Green Gilbert’s BrainDance research and her teachings on conceptual dance education, providing a strong foundation where new dance concepts will be explored monthly. Creative dance, imagination, and expression are combined with developmentally appropriate movement, music, and Hip Hop dance skills to create a class that is fun for all!
Dance is more than a series of steps. Our programs use a holistic approach that provides our young dancers with a brain compatible learning environment. Our conceptual approach to dance education ensures our students move with purpose on the dance floor and through life. Our goal is to shape each student into a Holistic Dancer who is a:
• Skilled Technician
• Critical Thinker
• Successful Collaborator
• Inventive Creator
• Effective Communicator
Each class includes: a BrainDance warm up, concept based exploration, Hip Hop skill development and choreography, a fitness based game or obstacle course and ends with a rhythm development activity. No previous dance experience necessary.
• Comfortable clothing (eg. leggings and a t-shirt)
• Indoor running shoes (no barefeet due to AHS guidelines)
• Hair pulled back
• Water bottle
• Face Mask Mandatory
Cinch Sacs/Prop Bags
As per AHS mandates, we are no longer allowed to have prop sharing in our classes. The use of props is integral to our programming. We have worked with our suppliers to bring in enough props to make individual student bags. Prop bags will come in their own J’Adore branded cinch sac labelled with your child's name and will include the items listed below. Prop bags will be available for purchase at the time of registration and will be waiting for your child on the first day of their class. Prop bags will be sold for $30+GST.
- 2 jingle bells
- 2 dancing scarves
- 1 ribbon wand
- 2 rhythm sticks
- 1 bean bag
- 2 egg shakers
- 1 stretchy band
- Hand sanitizer
Registrations can be completed online or in person at the studio or over the phone (provided you already have an account with J'Adore Dance). Payment must be received at the time of registration.
Programs at J'Adore Dance are in high demand, and sell out with long wait lists. As such, any registrations cancelled before the first class are subject to a $25 + GST administrative fee. No refunds will be issued after the start date of the class, however, we will issue credit valid for 12 months from the start date of the canceled program if the registration is canceled before the third class of the session. No refunds or credit will be granted after the start of the third class other than for serious illness or injury with medical documentation provided. Cancellation requests must be received in writing (firstname.lastname@example.org) and can only be processed by management. Credits are non-transferable and non-refundable. Please note that classes may switch from in-studio to online formats at any point in a session as mandated by Alberta Health Services. By registering in a program at J’Adore Dance you are agreeing to participating in both in-studio and online class delivery. Refunds/Credit will not be given for changes to programming delivery.
Terms and Conditions for Online Classes
- The participant has permission to be online and partake in J’Adore Dance online classes.
- Always use good judgement when dancing outside of your regular studio classroom.
- Take care to clear adequate space and remove any household or environmental factors that could potentially harm you or those around you
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear that is not slippery
- Make sure the flooring is adequate to prevent slipping and falling
- Young children should have someone actively supervising them
- Don’t do the activity alone; have someone on the premises with you
- That, where possible, you will ensure webcams are located in a communal space like a living room - rather than a bedroom. If only a private space like a bedroom is available, you will commit to keeping the door open.
The participant will participate in these online dance classes at their own risk. You understand that, although rare, dance is a sport and injury may occur. J’Adore Dance will not be held responsible for any injury that may occur during your online dance class.
Privacy for Zoom:
- All participants will be admitted from the “waiting room”. Please make sure your Zoom name matches your name on your registration.
- Please sign-in at least 10 minutes before your class starts.
- Your instructor will “admit” you.
- To minimize disruptions to the class, the instructor will not be able to manage the waiting room and admit participants after the welcome discussion (5 min after class start time)
- For safety reasons, your video must be on so that your instructor can see you
- Please note that the material in class videos is copyright and has not been approved for sharing, or for third party recordings. Sharing of the classes and zoom links and passwords are strictly forbidden (only registered participants will be granted entry into the ZOOM class each week) as well as the weekly video link. Not adhering to these rules will void your registration from the program.
Mackenzie commenced her performing arts training at age three at Casey's Dance Centre where she trained in various genres. She's thrilled to have recently graduated from MacEwan University's Theatre Arts program where she was exposed to vigorous training in all genres of acting, dancing and singing. Mackenzie has explored her craft in various locations including New York, Calgary, and Edmonton. She has also performed on three Royal Caribbean cruise ships. Mackenzie is an aspiring artist who continues to further develop her skills. She looks forward to any opportunity that comes her way and is excited to share her passion with the world.
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR OF SESSIONAL PROGRAMMING-OWNER
Jenna Brenan has been dancing since the age of four. Her background includes Tap, Jazz, Ballet, Hip Hop, Musical Theatre, and Irish. Jenna not only studied and trained locally here in Edmonton, but has also trained under a variety of professionals from across Canada and the United States. She has danced on teams with the Edmonton Oilers Boomers and with Scoil Rince Clannad Ceili Club. In fact, Irish dance is where Jenna met, traveled and competed with Chantel Sampson.
Jenna has been a dance specialist teacher with Edmonton Public Schools for over 10 years. She has taught classes to a variety of ages at Victoria School of the Performing Arts, Afton School of the Arts, and Glenora School.
In 2014, Jenna was fortunate to take the Conceptual Dance Education Training with Terry Goetz from the Seattle Creative Dance Center. There, Jenna was inspired to incorporate this philosophy into her school-based dance programs. In 2016, Jenna was fortunate to study under Anne Green Gilbert, Terry Goetz, and Anna Mansbridge at the Creative Dance Center’s Summer Dance Institute in Seattle, Washington.
Jenna is also no stranger to small business. In 2014, Jenna co-founded Artists on the Gogh inc., a community-based art and dance program for children ages three to eight.
In January 2015, Jenna joined the J’Adore Dance family. She was thrilled to connect with Jessica Baudin-Griffin, who shared similar philosophy of dance education. What a beautiful marriage of teaching Anne Green Gilbert’s Conceptual Dance Education both with Edmonton Public Schools and at J’Adore Dance! Jenna instantly fell in love with being a part of the J’Adore community.
In May 2016, Jenna partnered with Chantel Sampson to become the new co-owner of J’Adore Dance. Jenna and Chantel’s strengths and talents truly compliment one another, and they are grateful to have found one another to create a very special duo.
Jenna also loves sharing her passion of dance with her two boys, Finn (11 yrs) and William (9 yrs).
Jenna holds certifications in the following:
- Bachelor of Elementary Education Degree
- Intellidance® Certified Instructor
- AFLCA with Group Exercise and Portable Equipment
- Fit 4 Two® Pre and Postnatal Fitness Specialist
- PiYo® Live and CIZE® Live Pro Team Instructor
- Standard First Aid and Level C CPR
- Precision Nutrition Level 1 Certified Coach
When you dance with your heart, your body will follow. ~ Mia Michaels